Wednesday 5 August 2009

Between holidays

I've only been back at work for 2 days after a week in Cyprus and I already need another holiday (having to drive to Basildon and back today hasn't helped).
Fortunately I have another holiday booked just next week - camping under canvas in Dorset! We went there last year too where I plotted out a whole novel. Hmm, I've only written about 30000 words of it since though, before the multiple re-writing of Taken have distracted me. Need to make more time... Up at 6 tomorrow then!

Sadly I'll miss the August Wrekin Writers though.

I've just finished going through the second tranche of competition scripts and they really are very interesting. There is a wide range of subjects (and standards!) and I am astonished how people can craft a story out of 'mundane' events. I tend to find that kind of thing intensely boring to write, but some of them are quite gripping. Maybe I should have a go at it, and step outside of genre writing?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, as we all neeed as many writing experiences as possible, and it is amazing how this helps you to focus on what you DO want to write....like most people I began with the short story, enjoyed the uphill battle to be accepted. All the time receiving rejection slips and not understanding that my 'writing', of whatever nature, was rapidly improving. :-) The secret is just to write regularly, as I'm sure you've heard on too many occasions....regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said the competition judging would be revealing didn't I?

    Glad to see the blog up and running too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After hearing the moans in August from other judges I thought no one was enjoying it. I am glad you are.

    Best wishes.

    Fee

    Glad you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete